When to wear a slip?
What a wonderful question! I am in no way an undergarment expert but I can tell you what works for me. I really have some odd habits...like I always have on a camisole (what my mom calls them) or a tank top under anything I wear. I really don't know why I do this but I have a huge mound of white and nude tanks and I wear one every single day...weird, I know. I didn't realize how weird this was until I lived in the sorority house and everyone would always ask me why this was a habit of mine. They would refer to it as "double bagging" and we all thought it was hilarious. I did figure out that at least 2 of my good friends do this too, and we have no clue why.
Also while we're on the subject of under garments, my great grandmother calls her underwear "step-ins." How funny is that? Really, if you think about it that's what they are...STEP INS.
Now on to the slips...
First, I think everyone should at least own a "half slip." This comes in 18" or 22" and usually in black, white, or nude and should be just a little shorter than the skirt or dress you are wearing.
You would wear a half slip with a flowy skirt or dress. See below:

photo from macys.com

Photo from stylelist.com
When wearing a pencil skirt, I prefer to wear a tighter slip like this:

photo from macys.com
Now, a slip like the one above might be totally unnecessary, but I like to wear one (for anything else to smooth out lines of other undergarments-haha). And sometimes Spanx would do the trick for a pencil skirt...but I don't think your trusty Spanx would be a replacement for a slip. In that case, I would wear a slip over my Spanx. Haha, this can get kind of tricky, huh?!
Why wear a slip?
Have you ever noticed someone wearing a cute spring skirt and then when the sunlight hits them and you can see their entire body outline....well, that's why you wear a slip! We don't want any of that! I've even noticed a facebook picture or two where the flash from the camera exposes some skin..with sheer skirts and tops!
Anyone remember this picture of Princess Dianna? Gosh, I loved her and you know this had to be so embarrassing for her.
photo from Wall Street Journal and Rex USA
So there you have it..my rules to wearing a slip. Some of you out there might have other recommendations-lets hear them!
6 comments:
This slip conversation is cracking me up! I wear cami's under everything too!! Double bagging..thats a new one one me!
i heart spanx! sometimes i even wear them under jeans just so i feel skinny! ha.
My mom used to make me wear slips growing up and I HATED it. As an adult I've given up the habit, but that Princess Di photo makes me wonder how often I've been unintentionally showing off the goods. Yikes!!
Ohhh,Katherine, I've never thought about that! That's a great idea! I'm starting to think, maybe I just like to layer.
Question...is it appropriate for girls to wear boxer shorts under their skirt instead of a slip? If not, please talk to Katie.
Just for the record, I DO NOT wear boxer shorts under my dresses/skirts, as my husband has portrayed. They're spanx and I heart them too!!
Post a Comment